God’s People in Mission and Ministry
Mission and Ministry for the church are built around the biblical purposes set forth in the Great Commandment and the Great Commission:
‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ (Matthew 22:37-39)
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20)
These verses set forth the five purposes of the church:
1. Love the Lord your God is worship, as we celebrate God’s presence in worship.
2. Love your neighbour as yourself is ministry (service), as we demonstrate God’s love through service.
3. Go and make disciples is evangelism (outreach), as we communicate God’s Word through evangelism.
4. Baptising them is fellowship, as we incorporate God’s family through fellowship.
5. Teaching them is discipleship as we educate God’s people through discipleship.
Balancing these five purposes is at the heart of the congregational structure of developing focused ministries we describe simply as :
Gathered to Grow...Sent to Serve!
This is our vision. And everything we do at Good Shepherd is focused on this faith formation process. It is our way of helping one another become the disciple Jesus is calling us to be.
celebrate: worship, fellowship, playgroup, youth, men's group, women's group, small groups
educate: bible study, grow groups, child youth & family, men's group, women's group,
communicate: local mission, overseas mission, outreach
demonstrate: pastoral care, counselling